26 Court Street - This handsome brick house on the corner of Tenth and Court was built in the 1840s by Judge Charles P. Waller. In 1885 Dr. Dwight Reed bought it as a wedding gift for his daughter Ada, who had married Louis Dorflinger, treasurer of C. Dorflinger. The property passed from Ada to her son Charles and then to her granddaughter Elizabeth. Elizabeth's husband Dr. Frederick Smith had his dental practice there. After almost 100 years in the family the house changed hands several times and was used for professional offices and apartments. Attorney Robert Bryan and his wife Linda were the subsequent owners and his law office was on the first floor. The house is little changed from its original appearance. Interior walls of the main house are of brick. Local artist Joe Stegner designed a new front entrance when the original porch was made smaller. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: GREEK REVIVAL Historic Preservation Award given in 1994 to Attorney & Mrs. Robert Bryant for their preservation of this property.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.