Gouldsboro Train Station
Gouldsboro, Lehigh Township
In the very southwestern tip of Wayne County is a town once known as Sand Cut. During the 1840s and 1850s the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad built their line through the area and opened up a large tract of virgin hemlock. In 1856, twenty-year-old Jay Gould, infamous financier, built America's largest tannery here. This became the start of his vast fortune and the town was renamed Gouldsboro. The DL&W constructed a train station. which carried freight from Hoboken to Buffalo, and ran passenger traits until 1950. The Lackawanna County Rail Authority is the present owner of this station, which in 1960 became part of the Erie Lackawanna and in 1970 part of the Conrail System.
Three years ago the Gouldsboro Area Foundation began to restore the very dilapidated building. The group of local citizens have replaced the station's roof, replaced sections of the Dutch wooden siding, and some of the vertical siding. They have, with the help of crews from the Wayne
County Prison, repainted the old station in historically accurate colors, replaced over forty windows, and created replica gold lettered signs. Every detail has been carefully researched. Poplar doors identical to the original have been made and donated.
Next on the Foundation's agenda is the restoration of the interior. The station waiting room is in quite good condition with its original tongue and groove walls, and unusual concave ceiling moldings. They plan to use the business office for historical exhibits and the freight room for community gatherings. The Gouldsboro Area Foundation received a 2002 restoration award from the Wayne County Historical Society. The Foundation is as an inspiration to local groups. They didn't just bemoan the deterioration of this beautiful old train station; they rolled up their sleeves and restored it.
Historic Preservation Award given in 2002 to the Gouldsboro Area Foundation for restoration of the exterior of this property.
Text by Marge Hook, Sally Eno Soden, and Sally Talaga
Line Drawing by William Amptman
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.