Samuel Dimmick Building
The first house on this corner of Court and Ninth Streets was a clapboard building belonging to Honesdale merchant Charles C. Graves and his wive Julia. It is pictured on the 1851 Honesdale map and was sold in 1859 to Samuel Dimmick and his wife Lucretia. Four years later the house was destroyed by fire.
The present brick building was completed in 1859 at a cost of $40,000. It had twenty-two rooms, rare chestnut woodwork, and ten foot high front doors. Samuel Dimmick was a lawyer, active in Republican politics, and was Attorney General of Pennyslvania when he died at age 52.
In 1883 Samuel's son, J. Benjamin Dimmick, sold the house to Elias Stanton, and his heirs in 1908 sold the property to Attorney John Kuhback, chair of the Democratic County Committee and a State Senator. In 1919 it was sold to The Wayne County Memorial Hospital Association and after renovations was opened in 1920 as the first hospital in Wayne County. When a new hospital was built on Park street the building was acquired by the Honesdale Gospel Tabernacle and was a church for the next forty years.
In 1992 the County of Wayne purchased the property for much needed office space. The beautifully restored exterior is a tribuite to the talented builders and craftsmen of both the 1850's and the 1990's. The Samuel Dimmick House is a glowing example of historic preservation meeting modern needs.
Historic Preservation Award given in 1996 to the County of Wayne for the exterior restoration of this building.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.