The Land House, on the Delaware River just north of Milanville, sometimes called the Skinner House or the Old Red House, is considered the oldest house in Wayne County. It was built in 1796 by John Land, son of early settler, Robert Land, who was sent to Cushetunk in 1763 as a Justice of the Peace for the Crown. Because he was therefore considered a Tory he removed to Canada but son John returned and married Lillie Skinner, whose grandfather Joseph had taken part in the 'Walking Purchase." Her brother Nathan later became owner of the Land House.
200 YEARS OLD (BUILT 1796)
The house was originally an imposing three story dwelling, but Nathan chose to remove the upper stories leaving the one and a half story structure which remains. The house has had a series of owners and in different news articles published in the 50's and 60's, writers have bemoaned the fate of the house. In the 80's, Byron White purchased the house and did major restoration work which saved it from "demolition by neglect." For awhile it was rented by the National Park Service for its Planning Team.
Fred and Janice Woodward then used it for a second home, and like other recent owners, maintained its historic value and charm.
Line Drawing by Judith Hunt
From 1993 through 2008 the Honesdale National Bank published an annual wall calendar, each featured 13 historic sites. The sites were chosen and researched by a committee of the historical society and artwork was commissioned to Judy Hunt and William Amptman by the bank.
This page was one month of the calendar and was made possible through the Wayne County Commissioners and a Tourism Promotion Committee’s Tourism Grant.