On Saturday, October 23, in a ceremony at the Wayne County Historical Society's headquarters at 810 Main Street, Honesdale, Leonard and Margery Schwartz were given a 2010 Historic Preservation Award for their restoration of the Wayne Hotel in Honesdale. Accepting for Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz, who were unable to attend because of family obligations, was hotel manager Jim Petorak. The hotel's site, on the corner of Main and Park Streets, has been occupied by a hotel since 1827, when the town was still called Dyberry Forks. The original building, the town's social and political center for many years, was replaced in the 1890s by the present structure, the new brick building being built around the old wooden hotel (the old building was removed at the end of the process). The 2008 restoration completely refurbished the restaurant, bar and rooms with a distinctly "Honesdale" look, using numerous Howard Becker paintings and other art and artifacts to enhance the hotel's appeal without destroying its period charm.
Nominations for these awards are accepted throughout the year and everyone is invited to participate. Ground rules and nomination forms are available online at waynehistorypa.org or at the museum, 810 Main St., Honesdale.
© Copyright 2018 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.