Wayne/Pike County pioneer Thomas Valentine Taft built his magnificent Hawley mansion after moving his family from the Pike County village of Tafton, which was named for his father, Royal Taft.
The spacious home the Tafts built in 1871 has been restored to its original grandeur by current owners Jorge Perez and Estela Rojas, and they are inviting a limited number of visitors to tour their home and garden and enjoy wine and hors d'oeuvres on Saturday, September 17, from 5 to 7 pm. The event will benefit the Wayne County Historical Society, and reservations are available for $45 per person from the society.
Born in 1819 in New York City, the son of Royal and Sarah Valentine Taft, T. V. Taft was brought to Pennsylvania when he was just nine months old. When his father died in 1841, Taft took over the family farm, store and hotel, and in 1866 he moved his wife, the former Dian Labar, and three daughters to the village of Hawley in order to take advantage of is superior schools. In 1867 he began a successful milling business.
Mr. Taft's biography in "Commemorative Biographical Record of Northeastern Pennsylvania" ends with the "He owns one of the handsomest residences in the borough, and there the many friends of the family delight to congregate, always feeling sure of a hearty welcome." Jorge and Estela plan to re-create this welcoming atmosphere, opening their home to lovers of history and fine design for the benefit of the Wayne County Historical Society.
For reservations, visit the historical society at 810 Main St., Honesdale, Wednesday through Saturday between 10 am and 4 pm; or order by phone or email at 570-253-3240 (Master Card or Visa) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2017 , All Rights Reserved.
Wayne County Historical Society P.O. Box 446, 810 Main Street Honesdale, PA 18431 Phone: (570) 253-3240 Fax: (570) 253-5204Powered by TechniServe, Inc.